Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Has anyone ever been to the Palladium Ballroom?

I'm going to a concert that will take place there and I am just wondering what to expect.Has anyone ever been to the Palladium Ballroom?
The Palladium has become my new favorite venue. (I like small venues because there's less crowds and lines, not to mention less people shoving against you all the time or groping.) It looks like a theater on the inside, with a few bars added on either side. It's surprisingly spacious, something I was not expecting, but it still has the "small club" kinda feel to it. Sizing wise, It's like the House of Blues in Dallas' standing room area (if you've ever been), maybe slightly smaller. There's no balcony seating, it's standing room only. But the bar separating the stage from the crowd is about 3 feet across, so if you manage to get up to the bar, you get the see the band THAT CLOSE. And it was pretty easy to navigate through the crowd too with a few "excuse me"s and "sorry"s, I saw All That Remains there last week which is a pretty big name. Unlike the House of Blues, there's not a "no moshing" sign (which people never listened to anyway, as I noticed at Dragonforce's show there last year.) So if you're worried about the pits (i'm not sure what band/genre you're seeing), they're pretty small and harmless and nice people usually close it off so that smaller people (namely, GIRLS) don't get sucked in/hurt.



It's got high ceilings (in the main theater area,) there's no line for the bathroom and you can get really close to the band. The side monitors can be overpowering at some points though so try to get a spot in the center if you can, I had to plug my ears at several points just to save my hearing, and they were still ringing like crazy when I got home.



I'm planning on seeing Megadeth there (hopefully) in December, so you can bet I like the Palladium. (I was shocked to see people like Wilco and ATR playing there since it's smaller than the House of Blues!)



Anyway, enjoy your concert and have fun (I know I did)!!! :DHas anyone ever been to the Palladium Ballroom?
I can't help you, but here are some reviews that might help.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-palladium-ba鈥?/a>

http://local.yahoo.com/info-36598908-pal鈥?/a>Has anyone ever been to the Palladium Ballroom?
I don't like the palladium for a few reasons.



1 - Parking sucks. You have to pay like $10 to park there, and it is a pain in the *** leaving since there is like one exit from the entire lot. If you leave with everyone else plan on sitting in your car for a good 30 min. till you can leave.



2 - You have to buy your tix for this venue from ticketmaster. That means they are way overpriced and throw in a million fees.



3 - It's a bigger venue (not arena sized, but bigger than I like), so you cant get as close to the artist. And the way the stage is set up it is kinda hard to see the performers well unless you get way up front. This must be why there are tvs all around inside with the show being broadcast on them.



4 - Crappy security



I much prefer venues like the Grenada and the door. They are more smaller and intimate and let you get closer to the artist. These two venues don't have security running around trying to kick you out for anything. Parking is simple and tickets for these venues are $15, compared to the Palladiums 25-40 dollar ticket fee.





So, in the end I try to avoid the palladium as much as possible. But I do go out there once a year to see the mars volta.

No comments:

Post a Comment