Sunday, February 26, 2012

I have a 1992 Honda Accord that stops in the middle of driving, what is the problem?

Sometimes when I drive my car will turn off, including my brakes and power steering, but my lights, radio, windows, and everything electrical inside the car works. The honda dealer did a battery test and ruled out the possibility of it being the battery, starter, or alternator. So before I take it to the dealer to do a deeper diagnostic on it, I was wondering if I could get other opinions on the problem.I have a 1992 Honda Accord that stops in the middle of driving, what is the problem?whoever does the diagnosis is going to need to know the answers to some questions. does the car act up (spit, sputter, buck) before it dies or does it just cut out? If it bucks and misfires you may have a bad ignition coil. if it just cuts out you may have a bad ignition module or ignition switch



And, will the car restart when it stalls out or not? what do you have to do to get it restarted when it does turn off?



if your engine turns over (tries to start) but won't fire then the problem is most likely a loss of spark which could be caused by a bad ignition module that is breaking down when hot. both the ignition coil and the ignition module will usually allow you to restart the car once the engine cools down.



if the engine won't turn over (no response to turning the key) then it could be a problem with the ignition switch



there is an outside chance there could be a problem with the main relay that is causing the fuel pump to cut out. in that case the engine would turn over and you would have spark but the car wouldn't start.



hope that helps

No comments:

Post a Comment